Forgot Hotmail password and locked out? You can get your account back with Hotmail account recovery process. To reset Hotmail password, you’ll require recovery email address or mobile number or two-step verification app linked to your account. You will get a verification code on either alternative email address or recovery phone number. And if you don’t have access to any of them, then you can also try resetting the password using ‘Hotmail password recovery form.’
In the password recovery form, you need to answer some questions about your Hotmail account to verify it’s you. Hotmail will check your answers and if it get enough evidence about your identity it will give access to your account. You can also change Hotmail password without resetting it.
Steps to Reset Hotmail Password
It is simple to recover Hotmail password using an alternative email address or phone number linked to the account.
- First of all, visit Hotmail sign in page and click ‘Forgot my password, ‘ or directly visit Hotmail password help page.
- Then, select the option ‘I forgot my password‘ and click ‘Next.’
- Enter the Hotmail account of which you want to reset the password and enter the Captcha code in the lower box.
- Microsoft will ask how you like to receive security code.
Pick any one option, but note that you must have access to this option as you will receive a confirmation code. You will get a hint to every option listed there. Click ‘Send code‘ after entering those detail.
- When you receive the verification code, enter it and click ‘Next‘. If the verification code is correct, you will be prompted to the next page if not you will be informed that the code is incorrect.
- Finally, Hotmail password reset page will appear. Create a new password for Hotmail/Outlook account. Make password memorable so that you won’t forget quickly, but that does not mean to make it too obvious for others to guess.
Note that, sometimes account recovery options are not accessible, or you do not have access to those recovery options anymore. In such situation, password reset cannot be done immediately. It’s not a guaranteed option to recover Hotmail password as it mostly depends on the information you remember about an account.
Hotmail Password Reset without Email or Phone
Sometimes you lost access to recovery email or phone number and don’t have any other option to receive security code. Don’t worry even if you don’t remember the recovery method. You can still reset Hotmail password using the alternate method, but this method doesn’t have any guarantee to work. The success of the process depends on the information you remember about your account.
(Hotmail accounts which have two-step verification enabled, can’t be reset like this)
- Go to password reset page > select ‘I forgot my password’ > Enter your Hotmail and captcha code. Select the option ‘I don’t have any of these.’
- It will ask ‘Do you have an account recovery code?’. It is a 25 character long code, if you have it, enter it and click ‘use recovery code’ if not click ‘No’.
- You need to provide an email address where Microsoft can contact you. It should be different from the one you’re trying to recover.
- Check alternative email and enter the code received from Microsoft and click ‘Verify.’
- At last, fill as much as fields as you can under ‘Recover your Microsoft account‘ and click ‘Submit.’
It is mostly used to recover Hotmail password in case someone hacked Hotmail account. And if you have entered enough information about Hotmail account, your password will be reset after the thorough review from Microsoft which will take some time.